"zipl" as far as I can tell, does not write out the boot sector on the DASD the
same way, or at least it does not appear to. Running zipl on a freshly copied
volume here will not result in a DASD unit that will IPL. "dd" will.
As to traditional - well - dd pretty well predates zipl and chgroot; we were
doing it in the late 1970's. ;)
-Paul

--- Begin Message ---
On Jul 23, 2007, at 8:43 PM, Paul Raulerson wrote:

> Well, yeah, but that won’t make the DASD bootable. You need to copy
> over the boot sector as well,
>

> dd if=/dev/dasda1 of=/dev/dasdb1 bs=512 count=1
>

> (substitute the correct devices in the above command of course. The
> first one is the 3390-3 and the second the 3390-9. I have not
> tested this on a zSeries machine, but it should work just fine.)

A chroot and running zipl is more traditional.

Adam

--- End Message ---