With WAKEUP you only get the command to wake up for various events.  And
yes, HELP WAKEUP tells you all about it.

But, to make a server like VMUTIL, some REXX code (or EXEC1 or EXEC2 if you
insist) is needed around WAKEUP.  Ages ago, IBM shipped a VMUTIL server with
some execs written in EXEC2.  When I created a server to automate VMPRF, I
made it much more powerfull than VMUTIL, and we got more and more servers
using almost the same code.  Each enhancement to the kernel had to be
applied to all our servers, a tedious task.  Eventually, IBM's VMUTIL execs
got replaced by my kernel code too.  Some day we decided to make an
"official" kernel and provide exit points at crucial places.  Exits points
are pieces of REXX code added to the kernel that allow making servers do
more specific tasks than a general VMTUL.  In fact, the exit points for
VMUTIL are almost empty, the only exit point is to recognize MSG01 as
command (MSG01 was a standard command in IBM's old VMUTIL).

2007/7/26, Nick Laflamme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Troy A Slaughter wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knows if there's any doc out there on how to
> configure service machine VMUTIL.

I don't recall if VMUTIL comes pre-defined with a z/VM system, but the
core of VMUTIL is often the WAKEUP program, which is documented in the
"CMS Command and Utility Reference" manual (this manual changes names
from time to time; this is the title used in the no-longer-unsupported
z/VM 4.4 release).

As others have noted, there are more powerful versions of WAKEUP or
programs like WAKEUP than what ships with VM itself, but for many shops,
the shipped-by-IBM version of WAKEUP is in use already, so the
shipped-by-IBM documentation can be of use, too.

Nick the Ardent

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support