Hi folks,

        I'm going through the Program Directory for DFSMS/VM FL221 and
prepping the system for the installation. I've created the directory
entries as I believe they should be, but I'm a little confused by a
couple of things.

When logging in with the newly created DFSMS user, I get the following
errors:

LOGON DFSMS
HCPLNM103E DASD 019D forced R/O; R/W by MAINT, R/O by    18 users
HCPLNM102E DASD 051D forced R/O; R/W by MAINT
HCPLNM102E DASD 01A6 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS
HCPLNM102E DASD 01A4 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS
HCPLNM102E DASD 01A2 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS
HCPLNM102E DASD 01B5 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS

I don't understand why the links are being forced as read-only. In the
USER DIRECT file they are using MR in the LINK statements. The program
directory instructs you to format all the mini-disks prior to
installation, but I can't seem to get that to work either. Does it need
to be done prior to logging on as DFSMS?

Also, as part of the PLANINFO file, I'm told the following:

TARGID: VMSYS:DFSMS.CONTROL
SIZE:           300
BLKSIZE:        4K

I'm not sure what to do with this piece of info.

The VMFINS prerequisite checking indicated everything is okay, though I
don't have the ISPF component installed as near as I can tell (logging
on as DFSMS user generated an error about ISPVM; the user entry doesn't
exist).

Thank for any assistance you can provide. I'm still pretty green with
VM.

Dave Keeton
z/VM Systems Programmer &
Linux Systems Administrator