This could be handy for anyone migrating to new systems, or even managing
multiple systems.  Sure... we can do it ourselves (and probably most do),
but when chip a new wheel from old stone?   Could you send the updated
MDSK package to the IBM VM Download Page?  Yes, you knew someone would
ask.

Does it use "ACCESSM0 ON" and then "ACCESS vdev fm/fm (MODE0" the DEFINEd
MDISK to keep the user from accidentally writing on the DEFINEd MDISK but
still see filemode 0 (zero) files?

Thanks!

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Kris Buelens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/06/2007 08:35 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: no xautolog

No, MDSK is not that clever.  It will be after my holidays next week...

2007/9/6, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Thursday, 09/06/2007 at 08:08 EDT, Kris Buelens
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    MDSK OLDVM.DISKACNT 191 (FILELIST DETACH
> and the MDSK EXEC finds the MDISK in OLDVM DIRECT, ATTACHes the volume
> SYSTEM, issue DEFINE MDISK, ACCESS it, start FILELIST; when FILELIST
ends,
> everything gets DETACHEed again.  I'll send Anne my EXEC.

But ensure the "old" volume you are working with does not have a volume
label that matches an "offline" slot in your CP-owned list.  If it does,
CP will start to use any non-PERM space on the volume, effectively
preventing a DETACH.  Hopefully, MDSK does a QUERY CPOWNED first?

Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.