This was recently addressed on this list.  To quote Alan Altmark from the

relevent thread:

----------------start quote--------------------------------
Date:         Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:13:59 -0400
Sender:       The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
From:         Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      Re: OSA question

On Friday, 08/24/2007 at 03:01 EDT, "O'Brien, Dennis L"
<Dennis.L.O'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unless things have changed, each OSA triplet has to start  on an even

real
> address, but the real addresses don't have to be  consecutive.

Things changed quite a while ago.  The address can start on even or odd.

Device drivers on older systems may still reflect the original
start-with-even requirement.

I've always used whatever address is next in line on both the real OSA

addresses (VM 4.4 & 5.3) and virtual NIC address ranges (SUSE SLES 8,
 9 &
10).

Brian Nielsen

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:17:51 -0700, Daniel Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrot
e: