>>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2007 at  2:35 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hans Rempel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have attached a diagram to help express my network. The VSWITCH and all
> guests are on the same subnet and will stay on the same subnet. I'm hoping
> that another physical switch but unfortunately  all their ports are on a
> different subnet. I hope with the use of VLAN I can have a port program to
> the same subnet of the mainframe so that I can use two physical switches for
> may fail over.

Hans,

I've only worked with other people who knew something about switches, but from
what I saw done, every port on every switch is configurable as to what IP
address and subnet it is in.  If there are other switches with unused ports,
they can be reworked to be what you need them to be.  If your switch people are
telling you otherwise, I would try talking to their manager.

Mark Post