> Wonders never cease! After two years, someone wants to buy our
> old MP3000/H30.

> And they asked a question, that got us concerned...

> Does it have the microcode with it?

Yes, the MP3000 has LIC (Licensed Internal Code). This is both
the code running on the SAP (System Assist Processor) and the
OS/2 based code running on the Intel processor (effectively the
HMC/SE function but also I/O driver code).

> Well, right now it does, but should it? Is the microcode, which
> is licensed by IBM, licensed to the box, or to the customer? Is
> it transferable?

LIC is part of the box, and moves with the box if the box is sold
or otherwise transferred.

> All the internal dasd was formatted over. Should the OS/2 dasd
> been formatted over also?

You should NOT format over the OS/2 disk. This is where the LIC
resides and just as on any other IBM mainframe you don't touch
this part of the system.

> We don't want to be in violation of some agreement that no one
> actually reads <G>.

I would suggest that you make sure they get maintenance on the
MP3000 so they get any service (LIC or otherwise) which would
also cover any hardware (e.g. disk drive) failures!

Jim