Issue ...

DFSMSRM Q LIB VOL VM0000

I suspect it will say the tape is in the INSERT category ...

If so, you need to issue a

DFSMSRM SET VOLCAT VOL VM0000 TARGETCAT SCRATCHn

Where "SCRATCHn" is the desired scratch category for your scratch tapes
... For example SCRATCH0.

If you have specified a *default* scratch category in your RMS
configuration file ... Just leave off the "n" in SCRATCHn and the tape
will be put in your default scratch category.

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Senior Software Engineer
Tel:  +1 703 708 3479