From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Steve Bireley
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:18 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Secure file transfer options?

Hi Ray,

If you choose a Unix SSFTP client or some kind of SSL/TLS FTP Proxy, make sure
it uses the FIPS certified cryptography.  OpenSSL is open source and recently
received FIPS 140-2 certification.  By default, any product that uses OpenSSL,
built per the NIST security policy, meets the federal government requirement
for encryption software.  OpenSSL can be built with our without FIPS. The
vendor or open source project can tell you if their product is build with the
FIPS certified version. One of the requirements of FIPS is that the user should
be able to tell if they are running with FIPS enabled, so it should be readily
apparent.

Here is the home page for the NIST Cryptographic Module Validation Program. You
can find information about certified cryptographic modules.

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/index.html

Steve Bireley
Vice-President
Product Development