I've seen that a lot when the FTP server is being run from inetd or xinetd, and
requires and IDENT transaction.
Did someone change your configuration, either adding an IDENT rquirement on the
FTP server or removing an IDENT process on the remote machine?

--- Begin Message ---
Hello all...

for about four weeks we have a strange FTP problem.
A Servicemachine working for months and gathering data
from a remote system suddenly makes problems.
The FTP open to the remote system always gets a timout:

ftp 128.1.2.120 ( timeout 450 trace
VM TCP/IP FTP Level 440
Translate Table: STANDARD
about to call BeginTcpIp
Connecting to 128.1.2.120, port 21
SysAct 0 21 -2147417480 CC -1
==> Active open to host 128.1.2.120 port 21 from host 0 port 65535
Foreign host did not respond within OPEN timeout
Unable to connect to 128.1.2.120
Foreign host did not respond within OPEN timeout
Command:
quit
SysHalt has been Called
Ready; T=0.01/0.02 14:08:40

Ping and traceroute are working well.

This is z/VM 4.4, the remote system is an AIX system.

A tcpdump analysis by a network guru shows
that the z/VM FTP is resetting the packets receiving
from the open request to AIX system. But in the
tcpdump-file we find no reason for this behavior.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Ewald Roller
Rolf Benz AG & Co. KG