that has been posted to alt.folklore.computers as well.

Marty Zimelis wrote:
> Bob,
>    Right name, but I believe the wrong derivation.  The "67" in CP-67 comes
> form the fact that it ran on the S/360 model 67, the only production model
> of the S/360 line that implemented Dynamic Address Translation (DAT) --
> virtual storage.
>
>    Some would argue that was the first version of VM.  Others would argue
> that the line starts with VM/370, the first generally available version of
> VM, which was first released in August of 1972.  (FWIW, SHARE has been
> celebrating VM's birthdays using the VM/370 release date as the origin.
> Hence the 35th birthday was celebrated at SHARE 109 in San Diego last
> Summer.)

CP40 predated CP67. Cambridge Science Center had cp67 up and running and
had also installed it out at Lincoln Labs. The last week in Jan68, three
people came out to install it at the university where I was an
undergraduate. I was then invited to attend the spring 68 SHARE meeting
in Houston where cp67 was "officially" announced. In that sense, the
univ. was early "beta test" for cp67. For other topic drift, the
univ was also "best test" site for original CICS ... and I got
tasked to support/debug also ... misc. past posts mentioning CICS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#bdam

I had been doing various work on os360, including a lot of workload
throughput optimization. When CP67 was installed, I also started doing
some work on it ... and then made a presentation on some of the
work at the Aug68 SHARE meeting in Boston. Old post with part of
that presentation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#18 CP/67 & OS MFT14

part of this post I made earlier this yr, has been repeated
in this thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#21 history question

some more recent posts mentioning cp40 (and early virtual machine
work)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007p.html#19 zH/OS (z/OS on Hercules for personal
use only)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007p.html#69 GETMAIN/FREEMAIN and virtual storage
backing up
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007q.html#3 Virtualization: Don't Ask, Don't Tell
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007r.html#51 Translation of IBM Basic Assembler to
C?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007r.html#64 CSA 'above the bar'
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#29 Intel Ships Power-Efficient Penryn
CPUs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#30 Intel Ships Power-Efficient Penryn
CPUs

The cp67 group "split" off from the science center and took over the
(IBM) Boston Programming Group on the 3rd flr of 545 tech sq; science
center was on the 4th flr, science center machine room was on the 2nd
flr.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

For other trivia, multics was on the 5th flr ... a couple recent refs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#24 multics source is now open
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#31 multics source is now open

In the morph from cp67 to vm370, the group continued to expand,
eventually outgrowing the 3rd flr and moved out to the old SBC bldg in
Burlington Mall. During this period the company (and some amount
of the vm group) got distracted by the Future System effort
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

However, I continued to work on various 360 & 370 things (and also
made some less than flattering references about FS). Old email
referencing some of that work
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#1973
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#1975

When FS was finally killed, there was a mad scramble to get things
back into the 370 hardware and software product pipeline. Possibly
somewhat as a result, the development group picked up quite a bit of
stuff that I had been doing and shipped it in vm370 release 3. Then
there was also a decision to release other stuff that I had been doing
as the resource manager. Misc. posts
http://www.garlic.com/subtopic.html#fairshare

It was also in this time-frame that the internal scramble was on to
get going on MVS/XA. POK finally convinced the company that it was
necessary to kill the vm370 product, shutdown the burlington mall
location and transfer all the people to POK as part of being able to
meet the MVS/XA delivery schedule. Eventually, Endicott was able to
salvage the vm370 product mission ... but effectively had to rebuild
an organization nearly from scratch.

Somebody from ibm forwarded me this photo from the vm370 b'day event
at SHARE 99
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/LynnWheeler023.jpg

40th anniv. of when I first got acquainted with cp67 is coming up in
two months ... and the 40th anniv of cp67 announcement is later next
spring.

For other drift, 23jan69, the company announced unbundling ... somewhat
as the result of various litigation going on. However, the case was made
that unbundling and starting to charge separately for software only
applied to application software; kernel software still needed to be
"bundled" with the machine (and "free").

A big part of the motivation for FS was reaction to clone controller
business ... recent post discussing this
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007r.html#74 System 360 EBCDIC vs. ASCII

which talks about adding TTY/ascii terminal support to cp67 and coming
up against some 2702 controller limitation. As a result the univ. kicked
off a project to build a clone controller (using an Interdata/3
minicomputer) ... which subsequently got written up blaiming four of us
for clone controller business.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

In any case, some case can be made that as the result of clone
controllers, resulting in the corporation's effort for the Future System
activity ... allowing the 370 product pipeline to somewhat go bare
... help provide an opening for clone processors in the 70s.

In any case, as I was about to release the resource manager and in
response to clone processors ... the corporation made a decision to
start transition to charging for kernel software ... and the resource
manager was selected as guinea pig. as a result, I got to spend a lot of
time with business people and lawyers over a period of several months,
helping figure out policies for kernel software unbundling/charging.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#unbundle

One of the issues with early kernel unbundle was there was some kernel
software that was bundled and some that was not, but a policy decision
was that "free" kernel software couldn't have dependency on
unbundled/priced kernel software. Unfortunately, I had included quite a
bit of multiprocessor kernel reorg as part of the resource manager.
This created a delima when it was decided to go ahead and release vm370
multiprocessing support (bundled/free ... but couldn't require the
priced resource manager as a dependency)

lots of past posts mentioning multiprocessor support
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

for some completely other drift ... the original relational database/SQL
implementation had been done on vm370 (I transferred to the west coast
and doing various work on it)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

however, the first commercial RDBMS product was from the multics
group. this recent post strays into the issue that the multics group had
with "unbundling" their RDBMS product
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#20 Ellison Looks Back As Oracle Turns 30
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#21 Ellison Looks Back As Oracle Turns 30

Another part of unbundling was that SE services started to be charged
for. Up until that time, a lot of new SEs got their training "on the
job" at customer sites (as part of a SE team, sort of apprentice type
program). With unbundling, that came to a halt. To somewhat compensate a
program was started called HONE (hands-on network experience) which was
going to have several cp67 installations around the US and branch SEs
could remotely log in and gain experience running various operating
systems in virtual machines.

However, one of the other things that the science center had done was to
port apl\360 to cms ... and the dataprocessing organization starting
using HONE to host a number of sales and marketing support applications
implemented in cms\apl. Eventually this grew to dominate all HONE useage
and the original HONE purpose dwindled away. HONE then made the
transition from cp67 with cms\apl to vm370 with apl\cms ... and numerous
clones were created around the world (one of my hobbies was building
customer kernels ... which i provided and supported to various internal
organizations, including HONE). Some number of the HONE clones, I
personally installed. One of the first was when EMEA hdqtrs moved from
the US to La Defense (just outside paris). Also at some point, it
was not even possible to submit customer machine orders without
having first being processed by some HONE application. misc. past
posts mentioning HONE and/or APL
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone