I believe you can do it without using the disconnect. I tried this on a
system that was not very active and it worked fine.

Hans

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ronald van der Laan
Sent: November 16, 2007 3:48 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Adding OSA devices to a vSwitch...

Robert

On Nov 15, 2007 10:56 PM, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I'm looking for some peace of mind before trying this...
>
>  We've cabled a second OSA device into our network, and I want to add it
> my vSwitch definition as a backup to the current OSA connection. I can
> obviously add the path to the SYSTEM CONFIG file, and wait for the new IPL
> (which, hopefully, is some time in the distant future). I see that I can
> also issue a SET VSWITCH name RDEV origdev newdev.
>
>  The question is, will adding the second device disrupt the current
traffic,
> or will everything keep running correctly? I think that it should be
> non-disruptive, but I'm looking for some reassurance....

I've done this in the past, and it was disruptive in a way that for a
few milliseconds the vswitch got stopped.
What I did was create an exec with the following commands:

/* Add addional osa card */
'CP SET VSWITCH name DISCONNECT'
'CP SET VSWITCH name RDEV origdev newdev'
'CP SET VSWITCH name CONNECT'

As the IP protocol doesn't guarantee packet arrival anyway, so the few
lost packets should be retransmitted without anyone noticing the
difference.

PS, I did the same for disabling/removing osa cards (for maintenance)
in the past.

Ronald van der Laan