Technically: when you define a Linux virtual machine, you define how many
processors it can see.  The default is only 1.  Two statements in the CP
directory are important here:

   1. MACHINE, defines how many virtual processors the virtual machine
   can define.  Example:
       MACHINE ESA 4
   means the guest can have up to 4
   2.  CPU, defines a virtual processor; if you don't code it, you get
   CPU 0.  The CPU record in the directory define whatr you when when logging
   on, but with the CP DEFINE CPU, you can define others, up to the limit set
   by the MACHINE statement.

So, if you run a 1-CPU Linux virtual machine in a VM LPAR with 2 IFLs, it
can use at most the power of one IFL.  Only when you change the Linux
virtual machine to 2 processors, it will be able to use both IFLs
concurrently.

In practice, CP does not dispatch virtual machines, but it dispatches
virtual processors.  If you have only one Linux, with the default of one
virtual processor and an LPAR with two IFLs, CP can dispatch this Linux
processor on IFL 0 and later maybe on IFL1, but never on both concurrently.
Even if you'd define your Linux as a 2-way virtual machine, nothing says CP
will dispatch both virtual Linux processors on both IFL's concurrently; it
can do it, but it doesn't have to.

Remember too that CP devides the SHARE of a virtual machine by the number of
virtual processors to set the SHARE of a virtual processor, the dispatch
unit.  For example: for a 10-way virtual machine with a SHARE of ABS 10%,
each virtual processor gets a share of ABS 1%, consequently, when the system
is busy, a single task in that virtual machine may have a hard time to
consume more than 1% of a CPU.

Now, which SW licences you have to pay for is another issue

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support