We have been using FTP to append to daily files from our centers around
the world for eight years now. The way that we have been doing it is
that data is accumulated by a PC at each center. When a threshold is
reached, the PC initiates an FTP session with our VM system and appends
the data to a file whose name and type reflect the location of the
originating system, the type of log file and the date of the collection.
These files reside in the same SFS directory.

Lately, the files from one of the centers intermittently get corrupted
by overwriting the already written data. For example, data, which is
timestamped, might be collected for three hours and after the next
transmission, the start of the file will bear the timestamp of 03:00:01.
Sometimes, it happens early; other times late (20:39:00 is one recent
example).

The people who are in charge of this process have checked and rechecked
to verify (1) that all centers are running the same level of software,
(2) that there is nowhere that the PUT command is used in place of
APPEND, and (3) any non-zero return code from any command terminates the
transmission and the error is logged on the PC. So far, no non-zero
return code has been reported; no error log created.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior? What might cause it? We have
nearly 20 log files being created on VM using this method and software.
Why is only one file being victimized?

I have tried FTP to a test file that is locked in XEDIT by a user other
than the owner of the directory. The result was a meaningful error
message accompanied by a non-zero return code. Doing the same from the
owning user gives the expected bad results. The updates of whichever
user ends first get wiped out by the last to do the FINIS. It is only
the update that gets wiped out, not the entire file. The latter test was
just done for completeness of the experiment. In real life, (a) the
owner is a service machine that runs disconnected and never manipulates
these files until they are at least a day old, and (b) the only ones who
can write into the directory are  the owner, the PCs doing the FTPs,
which act under the auspices of the only user explicitly authorized to
write in the directory, and file pool administrators.

We are running z/VM 5.2.0 at service level 701 (CP, CMS22, and TCP/IP
all at the same service level.)

Regards,
Richard Schuh