On Monday, 12/10/2007 at 12:15 EST, Raymond Higgs/Poughkeepsie/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
wrote:
> The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
12/10/2007
> 10:50:40 AM:
>
> > > SMI-S provides a standard management API to make tool building
easier.

> > This is an interesting statement. Would there be interest in a CMS-
> > based SMI-S library to enable building tools to automate this sort
> > of stuff, and would IBM integrate it if one was available? Seems to
> > be a good enablement project if it were.
> >

> There would probably need to be some i390 and SE work done too.  They
manage
> the WWPNs, and really have the complete picture.

There is an entire stack of touchpoints that need to be included.  To
properly provision storage you have to follow six easy steps  ;-)
1. Contact one or more storage controllers to get new LUNs created or
existing ones allocated
2. Contact VM to find out what WWPN (guest or CP EDEV) needs access to the
LUNs.  This is needed only if you supply "userid" as input to the
provisioning request rather than guest WWPN.
3. Configure an FCP adapter to the VM LPAR if necessary
4. Have VM allocate the correct subchannel to the guest or define an EDEV
5. Configure the switch to let the relevant FCP port/WWPNs talk to the
LUNs (zoning/masking as needed)
6. Configure the guest to use the new subchannel if necessary and access
the LUN

I'm sure I left something out.  :-)  The above assumes a static allocation
of WWPN to a guest (which the current NPIV WWPN allocation mechanism
attempts to do), so once you assign a particular rdev (subchannel) to a
guest, leave it there.  That means, too, that you should write down that
relationship somewhere and keep it safe.  Then, if you have to replace a
card or switch, you can figure out who gets what.  (Though I assume that's
not a new problem for SAN managers.)