On Saturday, 12/08/2007 at 02:02 EST, Raymond Higgs/Poughkeepsie/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Not all 480 subchannels can be used with NPIV because of switch
limitations.
>  The 480 number was chosen arbitrarily from the layout of the SIGA
vector long
> before NPIV was implemented.  I think Brocade supports the most virtual
nports
> per physical port, 255.

It would be nice if the IOCP Machine Limits had a footnote on that.  But
even at 255, the value of virtualization is still present.

On Rick's point that you have to manage a z/VM guest just like any other
node in the SAN fabric, well, there are no miracles.  SMI-S provides a
standard management API to make tool building easier.  The good news is
that NPIV allows a guest's SAN access to be managed exactly as a discrete
server's would be, with no requirement to develop and System z-specific
code.