Support for 3590 tape drives was added to VM in version 2.
Looking at model E11 there were no upgrades required for VM.
I don't know of any manual that lists what hardware is supported by which level of VM. However, it is easy to search the IBM website. I did a search on "3590" Opened the announcement on 3590 model E11 and E1A. Scanned that to see that VM and VSE did not need any upgrade but OS/390 did. I looked in the 3590 Technical Guide and saw that support was added in VM version 2.

It took me longer to type in this email than to look up the information.

Collinson.Shannon wrote:
Is there a manual or webpage somewhere that references all the types of hardware that will work under various versions of zLinux and zVM? Or could someone tell me where I could confirm that a Magstar 3590 model E11 standalone tape drive would work under zVM 5.3 and/or SLES9 SP3? We’re new to the zVM/zLinux world—just finished with our POC and now trying to ready an LPAR for production use—and didn’t realize till just recently that we’d need a tape drive to do a standalone dump of the zVM lpar. We have some no-longer-in-use 3590s available so thought we’d put them on the lpar as a temporary solution, but don’t know how to ensure they’re supported. Thanks!

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit