At 08:45 AM 1/15/2008, you wrote:
Kris,

We need to go the other way too. i.e. Uncompress a file on z/VM that was sent from windows or another platform in PKZIP format.

Have you tried compiling the Info-Zip source? If I remember correctly, we did this (about ten years ago) without much difficulty.

I thought I'd stuffed that away somewhere, but haven't been able to lay my hands on it.

There were a few mainframe idiosyncrasies. On the way out, we first translated to ASCII, then converted the END-OF-RECORD condition to a CRLF, then zipped it. On the in, we had to do the opposite.

We abandoned this upon deciding that mainframe cycles were too expensive for the application. We replaced it with a program which opened a TCP Stream socket to a channel-attached RS/6000, which passed the stream into ZIP.

It's been more than five years since that client had a mainframe, but ...

Bob Shair
Open Systems Consulting
Champaign, Illinois