From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Ackerman
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:34 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Backup CMS files

Not really. If you are willing to take a Linux guest down, you can back
up the full minidisks with
VM:Backup or the corresponding IBM product, but you can only restore a
full minidisk. If you want
to do file level restores on Linux, or backups while Linux is up, you
will have to use Linux based
tools, such as Netbackup or Bacula or TSM.

We have been struggling with this question ourselves. We licensed a CA
product called Brightstore
Archive Bakup (BAB) two years ago. After two years of fighting with it,
we just decided to delete it.
It never worked reliably.

The reason to choose BAB was that it will backup to mainframe tapes
(such as our STK Silos). The
other Linux products want to use midrange tapes instead.

You might want to ask about Linux backups on the LINUX-390 list instead
of this list. See
<http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-390>.