From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Ed Zell
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:06 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Backup CMS files

> Relying on home-grown, unsupported tools is probably not
> something anyone wants to do when considering a long-term
> career.  :-)

Oh I wouldn't go quite that far.  We have been running our
home grown CMS backup system for about 19 years now.  It isn't
too complicated, just a series of LINK, ACCESS, & VMFPLC2 DUMP
commands.  And it is very reliable too.  We keep our yearly
generations for 10 years and I can still easily recover a single
file from any minidisk on those tapes.  And only 143 lines in
the EXEC, with 20 or so of them being comments!!

I do agree that given the proper dollars in the budget, a
purchased, supported package would be a much better choice.
But back in the VM/SP 6 days, a CMS backup solution was very
expensive for a little bitty 8 MIP, 4381 shop.  So I did what
I had to do, write some code and save some money.  It isn't
perfect, but as I said before, the price was right.

Ed Zell
Illinois Mutual Life
(309) 674-8255 x-107
.

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error,
notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.