From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 1:33 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: error bringing up cloned system

Managled is understated. If it said partitions instead of disks it might
make more sense to me. But in my case, I have only one volume/dasd/disk
with 1 boot partition and 1 logical volume partition. So when you bring
cloned volume/dasd/disk online he must compare the NEW "real addr" to
the
by-id label. But, if use by-path he doesn't? Sorry still a little
confused
about this. What is wrong with old naming conventions?

             "Romanowski, John

             (OFT)"

             <John.Romanowski@
             oft.state.ny.us>          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

             Sent by: The IBM
cc
             z/VM Operating

             System
Subject
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Re: error bringing up cloned
system
             ARK.EDU>

             02/29/2008 11:53

             AM

             Please respond to

               The IBM z/VM

             Operating System

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 ARK.EDU>

Novell's sles 10 sp1 release notes actually give a mangled attempt to
alert one to this z/VM mdisk issue.
 When they ran the original text thru the translator to English it must
have substituted 'disk' for the non-dictionary 'mdisk' words in these
sentences:

"Using Disks in z/VM
If SLES 10 is installed on disks in z/VM, which reside on the same
physical disk, the created access path (/dev/disk/by-id/) is not unique.
The ID of a disk is the ID of the underlaying disk. So if two or more
disk are on the same physical disk, they all have the same ID.

To avoid this ambiguity, please use the access path by-path. This can be
specified during the installation when the mount points are definied.

To change from by-id to by-path please perform the following steps:

Modify /etc/zipl.conf to use by-path names, example:
parameters = "root=/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.0201-part1 TERM=dumb"
Have the boot configuration pick up the changes:
mkinitrd
zipl -V
Change all by-id entries in /etc/fstab to by-path entries as well,
example:
/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.0201-part1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
reboot to pick up changes"

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged
or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If
you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to
send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or
its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and
delete the e-mail from your system.