>>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at  8:49 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Spracklen, Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone could provide clarification on the set up to use
> SNMP to manage virtual switches with z/VM 5.3.0.
>
> In the z/VM TCP/IP Planning and Customization book (chapters 21 & 23), it
> mentions the requirement to define a manager for the virtual switch by adding
> the "VSWITCH vswitchnm" option to a HOME statement in a z/VM TCP/IP stack.
> Does that VSWITCH vswitchnm option use a link associated with one of my
> existing osa's (either with a device address range already defined or a new
> address range) that are attached to the TCPIP stack or to the separate osa's
> associated with my vswitch? Does the ip address need to be added to the
> mproute config that is associated with the TCP/IP stack so that ospf can add
> it to the routing table?

Ken,

VSWITCHes don't have any TCP/IP parameters associated with them, per se.  No IP
addresses, no routes, etc.  The only reason z/VM TCP/IP is involved as all is
as a controller of the OSA hardware.  (The z/VM developers decided it wouldn't
make much sense to write a brand new SVM to manage the OSAs for VSWITCH when
they already had all that code built into TCP/IP.)  CP does all the rest.

Mark Post