Wasn't going to answer, but Bill P goaded me to it.

Is some monitor data worthless to be recorded? YES, LOTS OF IT for the MXG user.

Is the shelf life short? YES for much of it. (Disks doing zero I/O but online?)

Is MONWRITE writing garbage? Not all of it. To most users, much of the data is indeed garbage or at least something less than useful.

We replaced MONWRITE in 1989 with intelligent operation that supports MXG the way MXG users like, supports MICS like MICS users like, and saved customers significant CPU on z/OS, disk space on both MVS (z/OS) and VM/XA (z/VM), and we can give Linux process, application and user data to both MXG and MICS. MONWRITE is old and in the way of progress.

From our products page  "http://velocitysoftware.com/product.html";
there is a link to our vendor interfaces such as MXG. We even try and support the IBM products, but there are few users.