On Thursday, 03/13/2008 at 06:25 EDT, Berry van Sleeuwen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I had a discussion with IBM on that some time ago. I'd liked to see an
> option in signal to prevent the shutdown of guests when they do not
> shutdown within the timeout period. But IBM did not follow me on that.
> When a forced user in not acceptable (databases or jobs cancelled while
> processing) they advised not to use SIGNAL. This is true for zLinux but
> also for guest VM, VSE and SFS (all of them can trap the signal.)

There is confusion.  SIGNAL SHUTDOWN is not some arbitrary external signal
meant for general automation.  It is a hardware-architected signal that
the container (LPAR or virtual machine) is shutting down.  It is meant to
give the contents of the container time to commune with any or all
appropriate cyberdeities or perform cleansing rituals before being
consigned to Oblivion.  And it is a sentence for which there is no Appeal.