As Rich Greenberg already pointed out, it just requires running a separate
job after the normal backups have completed and updated the 1B0 catalog
disk.

I like "real-life" examples, which would be hard for Rich to provide now.
So I exported the separate, non-catalog job creatively called here
"VMBACKUP" (I believe in useful job names), looks like:
* * * Top of File * * *
JOB BACKUP TYPE FULL
COMMENT Backup VMBACKUP minidisks
CATALOG CREATE NO
OPTIONS  BKPTYPE LOGICAL
OPTIONS  PACKDATA NO
OPTIONS  CMSSWITCH YES CMSTRIES 9
OPTIONS  SFSTRIES 0
OPTIONS  PHYSCHANGE HASH
OPTIONS  CMSCHANGE DATE
OPTIONS  DIRSCAN YES
OPTIONS  BKPFILE STANDARD
JOBOPTIONS STREAMS 1
JOBOPTIONS HOLD NO PRIORITY NO EXCLUSIVE NO
JOBOPTIONS REDUCE REMOUNTS JOBEND QUIET ONETIME NO
REPORT REPDETAIL FILE
REPORT REPDEST VMBSYSAD  REPCLASS D
REPORT ERRDEST VMBSYSAD  ERRCLASS E
REPORT KEYWORD YES
REPORT PULLUSER SYSTEM
EXCEPTIONS HEWITT
OUTPUT 0 DSN VMBACKUP.VMBSYSAD.C1.ONSITE.CATALOG
OUTPUT 0 POOL I-EMAGS          RETPD 15
OUTPUT 1 DSN VMBACKUP.VMBSYSAD.C2.OFFSITE.CATALOG
OUTPUT 1 POOL I-WMAGS          RETPD 15
INCLUDE DASD  *
INCLUDE USERID VMBACKUP *
* * * End of File * * *

The old "HA$VM PROCEDUR" file that we used back we still went offsite for
D.R. restores contains the lines:
---<snip>---
d) Next find the VM:Backup Catalog tapes created on
   the Recovery Date.  The hardcopy report lists the
   'primary' and 'alternate' tape volsers.

   IF THERE IS NO HARDCOPY REPORT, the fiche lists the
   the 'primary' and 'alternate' volsers in the format:

   +--------------+
   ! VMBCat mm/dd !
   ! Prime=123456 !
   +--------------+

   and

   +--------------+
   ! VMBCat mm/dd !
   ! Alter=123456 !
   +--------------+

   From the hardcopy or or fiche report, for each system
   DASD volume listed below, write the 'primary' tape
   volser:

   VMBCat primary tape:   ___________________

   VMBCat alternate tape: ___________________
---<snip>---

The "VMBACKUP" job ran pretty quickly.  But it would probably be better to
run it with HiDRO or DDR now since good 'ole VMBSAR (which we used to rely
on) does not support 3590 tape restores.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Jim Bohnsack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/29/2008 11:57 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DR refresh of active SFS

A point about VMBACKUP, however, is that while we don't use it for DR,
we do use it.  One day I was looking thru the VMBACKUP logs of what got
dumped and to my surprise, found that the VMBACKUP 1B0 disk, the
catalog, doesn't get dumped by VMBACKUP.  I always knew that it would be
kind of a fuzzy backup but I figured better that than nothing.  Now I
run a separate ddr dump of the VMBACKUP mdisks after VMBACKUP is
finished.  That DDR dump is to disk and doesn't get backed up by
VMBACKUP until the next night, but a day old catalog is better than
nothing.

Jim

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.