From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Ackerman
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:27 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Second TCPIP stack and SSL

We have been ordered to protect all TN3270 sessions to VM with SSL. This
=

means turning on SSLSERV and disabling non-SSL. (INTERNALCLIENTPARMS
SECURECONNECTION REQUIRED, I think.) IBM level 2 has suggested that
other=

shops have a second TCP/IP stack to use when there are problems with
TCPI=
or SSLSERV. (We have found several problems with SSLSERV in our
testing.)=

I'm curious whether and how other shops use a second TCP/IP stack.

Some possibilities:

1. Have a second TCPIP stack up all the time (userids TCPIP2 and
MPROUTE2), but with no SSL. It would run on a second IP address. (This
is=

security by obscurity.)

2. Have a second TCPIP stack up all the time, with SSL required.
(Userids=

TCPIP2, MPROUTE2, SSLSERV2.) This takes 2-3 more 3390-3 packs per
system,=

as well as a second IP address for each. (We have 6 first-level VM
systems, so those packs add up. There is also the administrative time to
=

get new certificates, etc.)

3. Have a second TCPIP stack, kept down, with no SSL, but brought up by
=

operations when we request it. It would have a second IP address. (So we
=

could test without bringing down the other TCPIP stack.)

4. Have a second TCPIP stack, kept down, with no SSL, but brought up by
=

operations when we request it. Assume the first stack is down and steal
=

the IP address. We could only test during stand-alone time.

We do have a seond way to get into our systems, a PC-based product
called=

AP View. It has been unreliable here, and in some cases we have to ask =

operations to page the AP View support, either becsaue it is not working
=

or because we are only allowed Read/Only access via AP View to some (the
=

most important, naturally) VM systems. This slows down recovery.

We are trying to get rid of VTAM. (Actually, we are waiting for the z/OS
=

folks on this.) So that is not a good alternative.

Alan Ackerman                    =

Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com