Hi, Wolfgang,

There is nothing in the VSWITCH that will come up by default to prevent
guests from talking to each other.   If you send me your configuration
information, I can take a look and see what might be going on.    The
default for a VSWITCH in z/VM 5.2 is

DEFINE VSWITCH vswitchname

If that is all you specify, you will come up as a VLAN UNAWARE IP layer
VSWITCH without OSA connectivity to the external network.    Remember your
guests have to be authorized and coupled to the virtual switch.

The new support that Alan is talking about is enabled by issuing a MODIFY
or SET VSWITCH vswitchname ISOL  OFF|DROP|FORWARD  and is not enabled by
default.

Tracy (Bolinda) Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
z/VM Development - Virtual Networking
http://www.vm.ibm.com/virtualnetwork/
tie line - 620-5469 / (607-429-5469)

Wolfgang Engel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
04/22/2008 08:28 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: New z/VM 5.3 VSWITCH Port Isolation function

Alan,

the subject brought me to a question I have in mind for some time.

There seems to be a feature on z/VM's (4.4 to 5.2) which prevents
the guests on the same VSWITCH to talk to eachother.
This is what happens on our system with every VSWITCH I create. Every
guest
can't talk to other guests by default and I don't know how to enable it.

Is there something I have to enable ?

Regards,

Wolfgang

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 12:25:37PM -0400, Alan Altmark wrote:
> [cross-posted to IBMVM and LINUX-390]
>
> I just want to bring to everyone's attention some new support for the
> Virtual Switch.  APAR VM64281 for z/VM 5.3 (only) provides a "port
> isolation" function that prevents guests on the same VSWITCH or VLAN (if

> the VSWITCH is VLAN-aware) from talking directly to each other.  You can

> decide what to do with packets destined for other guests on the LAN
> segment: silently drop them or forward them, as-is, out to the switch.
>
> This new function became available on February 26th.
>
> For more information, see p.58 of the -05 edition of the z/VM
Connectivity

--
With kind regards/Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

     your/Ihr SuSE Team
     Wolfgang Engel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Tel:   +49-911-74053-668
Maxfeldstr. 5                              Fax:   +49-911-7417755
90409 Nuernberg,          Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Germany                   WWW:   http://www.suse.com