> Ok, I'll ask. Why wouldn't one attach an OSA card directly to a Linux
> guest?

Ties a guest to a particular piece of hardware (failure point), and
forces the guest to handle all the recovery, ARP management, etc. Having
CP do it for multiple guests is a much more resource efficient approach.

It also ultimately uses up a lot more OSA port triplets, which aren't
free. A couple 10G cards aren't cheap, but they're cheaper than multiple
1G cards, and you'll get better utilization out of the 10G cards. You
also get a better chance to move any network processing outside the Z
box -- 10G cards in switches tend to have LOTS of horsepower, and
they're way, WAY cheaper than an IFL.

> Seriously, why shouldn't this be done?

Consumes lots of memory in each guest (16M per OSA is the default, I
think). Also forces the guest to be dispatched more often to handle all
the I/O (particularly noticeable when using layer 2 where the guest has
to handle ARP and other stuff).

It's also a lot more management-intensive to have to figure out all that
port mapping in the first place, and then figure it out again in a DR
situation where the hardware is different. With VSWITCH, you change it
in one place and it's done for all the guests on that VSWITCH whether
you have 1 or 100.