The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on 04/24/2008
10:23:39 PM:

Alan Altmark wrote:

> Off the top of my head:

<snip>
> (b) High availability.  If a guest is handling the OSA, then the guest
> must handle any OSA, cable, or switch errors or device outages.  The
> VSWITCH handles that transparently for all guests using the VSWITCH.
What
> if you have 5 guests that need OSAs?  Each would need a backup as well.

Even on my legacy VM systems (no Linux guests at all) I define a VSWITCH
with two OSAs (connected to different real switches), and the only thing
attached to the VSWITCH is the TCPIP virtual machine. Prior to VSWITCH the
TCPIP machine attached to both OSAs and VIPA provided for high
availability. I don't need MPROUTE any more, just simple static routing.
Much easier to support.

Mark L. Wheeler
IT Infrastructure, 3M Center B224-4N-20, St Paul MN 55144
Tel:  (651) 733-4355, Fax:  (651) 736-7689
mlwheeler at mmm.com
--
"I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show
compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will