Hi, Tim.

I think what your are looking for is the VMSSL server. It can secure Telnet (TN3270) sessions to your z/VM system quite nicely, and it is supported on your release of VM. You can read more about it in Chapter 22 of the TCP/IP Planning and Customization Guide.

It is somewhat of a pain to set up, as it requires you to go get and install a Linux distribution. The folks at Sine Nomine Assc. have created a nice VMSSL server enabler tool that speeds up the install process.....you might want to take a look at that here:

http://www.sinenomine.net/

Have a good one.
Tim Joyce wrote:
Hey Guys,
We are looking into using secure telnet on our z/VM 5.2 TCP/IP stack.
When looking over info on the VM site, I found the following :
Changes Introduced in TCP/IP Level 530 A new statement, SECURETELNETCLIENT, may now be specified in the TCPIP
DATA file. This statement provides the default Telnet client security
value to use when neither the SECURE nor NOSECURE option is specified on
the Telnet command. Am I to infer from this that Secure telnet is not available with our
current 5.2 release level? Is anyone using secure telnet out there that
can point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Tim

Tim Joyce
Sr. Systems Programmer / Project Leader Alex Lee, Inc. Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Phone: (828) 725-4448 Fax: (828) 725-4800

--
DJ

V/Soft
  z/VM and mainframe Linux expertise, training,
  consulting, and software development
www.vsoft-software.com