On Monday, 05/05/2008 at 10:35 EDT, Tim Joyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Am I  to infer from  this that Secure telnet is not available with our
current
> 5.2 release level? Is  anyone using secure telnet out there that can
point me
> in the right  direction?

In z/VM 5.2 you can use SSL with FTP and TN3270, or any other protocol,
provided your client supports the model of "Establish the SSL tunnel first
and the flow the protocol over it" (a la https).  We call that "static" or
"transparent" SSL.

In z/VM 5.3 you do those same things, but you can also use clients that
negotiate the use of SSL over the traditionally unsecured port.  Further,
you can add SMTP and client-side (CMS) FTP and TELNET command support to
the list.

IBM Personal Communications 5.9 is an example of a TN3270 client that
supports both kinds of secure telnet.