I've been asked whether our z/VM systems could convert to using only
virtual tape.  One of the possible sticking points is vendor software.
If necessary, we could keep a couple of manual tape drives around for
software installs.  I'm trying to determine if it's necessary.

Have IBM or any other software vendors made statements of direction for
offering alternatives to delivering software on tape?  I know that z/VM
itself has been available on DVD for the last 3 releases, and CA's
VM:Manager products are downloadable.  I see that z/VM and products on
SDO are now downloadable, too.  What about products not on SDO?  Is tape
the only choice for those?  I tried to register for ShopzSeries to see
what was actually downloadable, but was told my customer number doesn't
exist.  Perhaps customer numbers for Resource Link and ShopzSeries are
not the same.

                                                       Dennis O'Brien

"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill."  --
Robert A. Heinlein