From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Richard Clapper
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 11:41 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VSWITCH VLAN-aware not connecting

I'm replying to both Rich and Marcy.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding the real switch port, I understand it is "set up" (i.e.
configured??) to route all network-defined VLANs, including 304, to the
switch port of the OSA.

Marcy, I am expecting the VSWITCH to do the tagging, so you confirmed
that PORTTYPE ACCESS is correct.

I'm still wondering if the VLAN 1 parameter on the DEFINE VSWITCH truly
causes the VSWITCH/OSA port to be identified as a Trunk Port also, which
matches up to the Cisco switch's configuration of its port as a Trunk
port.

What monitoring/tracing (network side, or VM side) would show where
TCPIP packets aren't getting through somewhere?  I'm clueless in this
area.

TIA!

>>> Marcy Cortes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/7/2008 5:58 PM >>>
If you want your penguins to do the tagging, you want them to be on
porttype trunk (and do *something* on linux to tell him he is 304).  If
you want the VSWITCH to do the tagging, you want them to be on porttype
access and just as you've shown do it on the grant.  So, sounds like you
have that part right.

The CISCO switch would have to define your osa's on a trunk port and
make sure that vlan 304 is indeed associated with that port.  Your VM
side looks correct to me if indeed you want VLAN AWARE with the vswitch
doing the tagging (as opposed to the linux guest doing the tagging).

Marcy Cortes

>>> Rich Smrcina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/7/2008 5:42 PM >>>
Dick,

Is the real switch set up to route VLAN 304 traffic to the switch port
that the OSA is plugged in to?

Richard Clapper wrote:
> I'm defining my first VLAN-aware VSWITCH, and can't get connectivity
to it.  I've got several active Penguins running through 3 different
VLAN-unaware VSWITCHs - easy to define, and they just work.  All
Penguins are cloned the same.  But this new VSWITCH is giving me fits.

> I'm running z9-BC with OSA Express2, z/VM 5.3, SLES10, with the OSA
connecting to a Cisco 2960 Switch.

> My "network" counterpart and I stepped back: he changed the Switch
Port definition to a non-trunking port.  I defined a regular
VLAN-unaware  VSWITCH, brought up a Linux guest, and all worked fine.
Then he redefined the Switch Port as a 802.1q Trunk Port.  I redefined
the VSWITCH and  Guest Authority as follows, and brought up both
Penguins:

> def vswitch vsw20x rdev de0 vlan 1 porttype access nogvrp portname
chpid47
> set vswitch vsw20x grant zp_wa01 vlan 304
> set vswitch vsw20x grant zp_wa02 vlan 304
>
> The Query Vswitch results are below.  The two Linux guests can ping
each other (I entered ping on the VM user session), but I can't SSH into
either Penguin as I do with all my other Penguins.  My network brother
says a sniffer shows no packets coming from the OSA.  He also perceives
that I need to define something somewhere as an 802.1q Trunk Port, but I
don't see anything that does that.  I understand the PORTTYPE  parameter
as setting the default for how the Penguins connect to the VSWITCH, so I
used ACCESS.

> I've read VM Connectivity and used the TRSOURCE/IPFORMAT tracing, but
I'm not sure if I can see a problem there.

> The questions:
> 1.  Did I miss something, somewhere?
> 2.  Do I need to define an 802.1q Trunk Port on the VM side also?
Where?
> 3.  Do I need to configure/modify some OSA definition?  How?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Dick Clapper
> Systems Programmer
> FirstBank Data Corporation
>

> VSWITCH SYSTEM VSW20X   Type: VSWITCH Connected: 2    Maxconn:
INFINITE
>   PERSISTENT  RESTRICTED    NONROUTER                 Accounting: OFF

>   VLAN Aware  Default VLAN: 0001    Default Porttype: Access

>               Native  VLAN: 0001

>   MAC address: 02-00-00-00-00-19

>   State: Ready

>   IPTimeout: 5         QueueStorage: 8

>   Portname: CHPID47    RDEV: 0DE0 Controller: DTCVSW1  VDEV:  0DE0

>     VSWITCH Connection:

>       MAC address: 00-11-25-C0-30-7C

>       RX Packets: 0          Discarded: 9          Errors: 0

>       TX Packets: 131        Discarded: 0          Errors: 0

>       RX Bytes: 0                    TX Bytes: 8948

>       Device: 0DE2  Unit: 002   Role: DATA       Port: 0001  Index:
0001

>   Adapter Connections:

>     Adapter Owner: ZP_WA01  NIC: 0600  Name: CHPID02

>       Porttype: Access

>       RX Packets: 10         Discarded: 0          Errors: 0

>       TX Packets: 44         Discarded: 0          Errors: 0

>       RX Bytes: 812                  TX Bytes: 3096

>       Device: 0602  Unit: 002   Role: DATA       Port: 0066  Index:
0003
>       VLAN: IPv4 0304 Assigned by system

>       VLAN: IPv6 0304 Assigned by system

>       Unicast IP Addresses:
>         10.0.202.101         MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-1A
>         FE80::200:0:100:1A   MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-1A Local
>       Multicast IP Addresses:
>         224.0.0.1            MAC: 01-00-5E-00-00-01
>         224.0.1.22           MAC: 01-00-5E-00-01-16
>         239.255.255.253      MAC: 01-00-5E-7F-FF-FD
>         FF02::1              MAC: 33-33-00-00-00-01 Local
>         FF02::1:FF00:1A      MAC: 33-33-FF-00-00-1A Local
>   Adapter Owner: ZP_WA02  NIC: 0600  Name: CHPID02
>     Porttype: Access
>     RX Packets: 8          Discarded: 0          Errors: 0
>     TX Packets: 42         Discarded: 0          Errors: 0
>     RX Bytes: 658                  TX Bytes: 2976
>     Device: 0602  Unit: 002   Role: DATA       Port: 0067  Index: 0004
>     VLAN: IPv4 0304 Assigned by system
>     VLAN: IPv6 0304 Assigned by system
>       Unicast IP Addresses:
>         10.0.202.102         MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-1E
>         FE80::200:0:100:1E   MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-1E Local
>       Multicast IP Addresses:
>         224.0.0.1            MAC: 01-00-5E-00-00-01
>         224.0.1.22           MAC: 01-00-5E-00-01-16
>         239.255.255.253      MAC: 01-00-5E-7F-FF-FD
>         FF02::1              MAC: 33-33-00-00-00-01
>         FF02::1:FF00:1E      MAC: 33-33-FF-00-00-1E Local

The information contained in this electronic communication and any
document attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and
intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any examination, use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any part
thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
destroy this communication.  Thank you.

This email is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the intended
recipient please disregard, and do not use the information for any purpose.