Alan, thanks for chiming in, with all the clarification.  I think I'm
understanding everything just the way you described it.  I'm just not getting
it to connect yet.

At this point I'm using:
def vswitch vsw20x rdev de0 vlan 304 native 1 porttype access nogvrp portname
chpid47
set vswitch vsw20x grant zp_wa01 vlan 304
And my goal is to add guests with other VLANs once I get this working.

With the assumption that the real switch is configured properly, what are the
best things to trouble-shoot on the VM side, to prove or disprove my
definitions?

>>> Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/10/2008 1:19 PM >>>
On Friday, 05/09/2008 at 05:11 EDT, Richard Clapper
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, Nick, for this.  I had been using the 5.2 CP Command manual,
which
> didn't have NATIVE.  We recently converted to 5.3.
>
> I've been playing around with this, and it's still not working for me.
Just to
> clarify, in your example you didn't set VLAN on the SET VSWITCH command,
so the
> Linux Guest would default to VLAN 83.  Do you have other guests, for
other
> VLANs, on this VSWITCH, and do you explicitly specify the VLAN number
for
> them?  Why would I choose VLAN 83 over any other VLAN number that I want
to use?

The "VLAN" parameter does the following:
1. Indicates that you are operating a VLAN-aware VSWITCH.  The OSA port
MUST be configued as a trunk port in the physical switch.

2. Identifies the default VLAN assignment for any guest who is given
authority to connect to the VSWITCH, but for whom no VLAN id was
specified.

3. Identifies the DEFAULT VLAN id on the OSA's switch port.  "Say, what?"
That is, a trunk port can send untagged frames.  If it does, the port's
DEFAULT VLAN is assigned by the switch.  Likewise, if data is headed TO
the VSWITCH and it is coming from the default VLAN, the VLAN tag is not
present.  Any guest who has PORTTYPE TRUNK -AND- is authorized to use the
default VLAN id will receive said frames (sans tag) and will have any
untagged frames sent (still untagged) to the OSA as-is.

If the DEFAULT VLAN id is not configured for the port in the switch, the
NATIVE VLAN id will be used.  The initial value for the NATIVE VLAN id in
Cisco switches is VLAN 1.  It follows, then, that the initial DEFAULT VLAN
on a trunk port is VLAN 1.  Some installations change the DEFAULT VLAN on
the port in order to "trap" any untagged frames and prevent them from
flowing through the switch.

In z/VM 5.3 we changed DEFINE VSWITCH to let you specify the default
*guest* VLAN assignment SEPARATELY from the DEFAULT VLAN id for the
*port*.  The default guest assignment is whatever you put on VLAN
(consistent with #2 above).  You specify the port's DEFAULT VLAN id by
using the NATIVE keyword.  The rules for the NATIVE vlan ID are as
described in #3.

If you do not specify NATIVE in z/VM 5.3, it will default to the same
value as you specified on the VLAN keyword, providing compatibility with
z/VM 5.2 and earlier.

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.