You can instruct CMS to translate non-printables: SET NONDISP "  is the default.
With this setting: when XEDIT encounters a " char in a position on a
changed line, it keeps the non-printable if it was non-printable
before, otherwise it becomes a ".  Hence: if you delete of insert
characters that make the " move, the non-printable is lost and
replaced by a ".  (a 3270 can't tell XEDIT what happened in a field,
XEDIT can only know which fields got changed)

I also learned that this nice theory doesn't work if running with SET
TEXT ON or SET APL ON, every non-printable becomes a " if you touch
the line.

Therefore:
- avoid touching lines with non-printables
- set the NONDISP character to something else than ", best a character you
  cannot type on the keyboard (and not a blank like you seem to have).

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support