I have a customer who currently uses an FTP-like process to move a large amount of data from z/OS to VM regularly, where it's then put into a database on VM...

From what we know so far, the data is written out to a giant flat file on z/OS, then transferred and imported into the database on VM. (It's not DB2, but so far not sure just what it is.) The flat file can be up to about 40K records, and each record can be up to 3K long...

In talking about their hardware configs, while they are separate systems today, it occurred to us that we could cable the VM system to the z/OS DASD and read the file directly on VM -- thus eliminating the overhead and delay of sending it over IP, no matter how fast the connection.

It would mean changing their process to write a single file to a single volume, as opposed to today where z/OS just writes it as a multi-volume dataset across whatever free space. That would probably take either a 3390-27 or maybe a -54...

So.... Does anyone have any experience using the CMS OS simulation stuff to read giant z/OS files? I know a CMS formatted minidisk can only go up to 32K cylinders, but haven't found any mention of limits for the OS simulation stuff.

(Keep in mind it's almost always easier to change the VM end of the process.)

Thanks for any thoughts....
Lee
--

Lee Stewart, Senior SE