From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lee Stewart
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:03 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] CMS OS Sim reading LARGE z/OS flat files

I have a customer who currently uses an FTP-like process to move a large
amount of data from z/OS to VM regularly, where it's then put into a
database on VM...

 From what we know so far, the data is written out to a giant flat file
on z/OS, then transferred and imported into the database on VM.   (It's
not DB2, but so far not sure just what it is.)   The flat file can be up

to about 40K records, and each record can be up to 3K long...

In talking about their hardware configs, while they are separate systems
today, it occurred to us that we could cable the VM system to the z/OS
DASD and read the file directly on VM -- thus eliminating the overhead
and delay of sending it over IP, no matter how fast the connection.

It would mean changing their process to write a single file to a single
volume, as opposed to today where z/OS just writes it as a multi-volume
dataset across whatever free space.   That would probably take either a
3390-27 or maybe a -54...

So....   Does anyone have any experience using the CMS OS simulation
stuff to read giant z/OS files?   I know a CMS formatted minidisk can
only go up to 32K cylinders, but haven't found any mention of limits for
the OS simulation stuff.

(Keep in mind it's almost always easier to change the VM end of the
process.)

Thanks for any thoughts....
Lee
--