You have a pretty slick setup.  We back up about 200G or less for a full
backup, and 2 to 10G for our daily incremental.

The kicker is the 3000 mile channel extension...coast-to-coast.

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:58 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM:Backup: Twinning Tapes to Remote Tape Unit

We have (forever) backed up using VM:Backup "twins" - reading disk once,
writing concurrently to separate backup tapes about 3 miles apart (each
with it's own volser).  We do full file-level backups and critical
system DASD physical-backups each Saturday to three 3590 drives in each
data center (six spinning MagStar tapes).  Over the past few weeks, each
Saturday we've backed up about 350G-500G in 5.5-6.25 hours from an
VM:Backup running on an olde z800.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Llewellyn, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

06/05/2008 03:44 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: VM:Backup: Twinning Tapes to Remote Tape Unit

That would be by far the easiest way, but VM:Backup is not able to
handle copied tapes at a BRP site - it's catalog wouldn't match.