Thanks everyone who responded. The 2821 is the winner. The number of responses kind of goes along with an observation I've made at SHARE and have mentioned to IBM. That observation is that we mainframe sysprog types are getting old. We're going to be retiring soon-I'm first :-D The mainframe isn't going to be leaving the computing scene as quickly as we are. I know that IBM and others have said that they are addressing the problem and perhaps I haven't noticed.
Jim

Raymond Noal wrote:
Jim,

The control unit for a 1403 is a 2821 which is supported by HCD in my =
z/OS 1.8 system. The 2821 is also the control unit for the old 2540 =
card-reader/punch device.

HITACHI
=A0DATA SYSTEMS=20
Raymond E. Noal=20