Please. ESAMON has been correcting the Linux numbers since the problem was discovered in 2001.

Thomas Kern wrote:

I think that the discussion was that tools like PERFTK, ESAMON, CP IND USER show accurate numbers for what the whole virtual machine is using, and the the numbers from tools INSIDE a linux virtual machine such as TOP, SAR vary depending upon the level of the kernel, the distribution and the workload of the rest of the system.

/Tom Kern

Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR) wrote:

Hi

I saw something in one of the postings that stated that the CPU
utilization numbers that were reported in the z/VM Performance Toolkit
on behalf of a Red Hat 4.6 z/Linux guest were not correct.  Is it only
the PTK that does not report the correct numbers or is it any monitor?
Do we know if the numbers reported are bogus on the high side or low
side?  I am running z/VM 5.3 and the Linux Kernel is at 2.6.9-67.

Thanks Terry