Unfortunately for you, granting authority to PUBLIC grants it to
everyone who has an id on the system. If the filepool is listed as a
Global Resource, the authority carries over to other systems connected
to your system via APPC. Yes, PUBLIC is the problem.

Your ESM may provide an out. I do not know the abilities of VM:Secure
and RACF in this area. SafeSFS may be another way to control access the
way you are hoping for. Whenever I enroll a new user in our SFS, I tell
them to not grant authority to PUBLIC for any files or subdirectories
that they would not want posted on the web or printed in the Enquirer.

Regards,
Richard Schuh