Near the end of a 605MB (the size of the VMARC file; unpacked, it is
over 2.7GB) FTP, I got the message "421 Service not available, closing
control connection." Dumb me, I looked in the numbered client and server
messages and could not find a 421. Then I looked in the section called
"Reply Code Messages" and found a 421 with different text. It says to
issue an Open command to reestablish connection with the server. This
brings to mind a couple of questions with my guesses in parentheses:

*       Is there any point in resuming the connection if all I was doing
was sending one file? (probably not)
*       If I do reestablish the connection, will the FTP be resumed,
picking up where it was when the connection was lost ? (no)
*       What is needed in the way of an Open command? (irrelevant if my
first 2 guesses are correct) I entered no such command initially, I
entered an FTP command, answered the userid and password prompts, then
entered the commands BIN and PUT.
*       I the loss of service appears to have been outside of VM. Is
there any way to determine if the loss was at the vendor's server or
somewhere between the two endpoints?

Regards,
Richard Schuh