I know Alan (as you probably know), but I wanted to keep things simple.
Now my turn to throw stones (or pebbles)
- ain't it about time CP SLEEP allows shorter periods than 1 second?
  (PIPE DELAY can be used to sleep shorter)
- CP SEND uses the same RC to signal almost all problems it can get
- So scanning the message text then ?
  HELP CP SEND (ERRORS doesn't even tell which errrors can cause RC 68
  here's a list from one of my execs (but there might be more)
   RECEIVER IS NOT DISCONNECTED
   RECEIVER HAS NOT AUTHORIZED SENDER
   RECEIVER HAS NO VIRTUAL CONSOLE
   RECEIVER HAS CONSOLE INPUT WAITING
And, I think chances are high that one needs a short while anyhow:
when I issue CP SEND, CP has to dispatch the target machine so it can
"eat" the command just sent before my user sends the next command.  Is
CP SEND that clever?

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support