On Tuesday, 07/29/2008 at 11:46 EDT, Richard Clapper
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But, I needed to understand - for a subnet on a Hipersocket:  When I
configure
> my Linux Guest to attach to a Hipersocket, so that I can get to a z/VSE
Stack,
> then I have to enter the Linux Guest's IP Address to use on the
Hipersocket,
> and the Routing Table entries.
>
> For example, my Hipersocket subnet is 10.0.205.0/24.  My VSE is at
> 10.0.205.200.  Another VSE is at 10.0.205.201, another at 10.0.205.202,
etc.
> My Linux Guest is at 10.0.205.1.  Everything uses subnet mask
255.255.255.0.
> In the Linux Guest, I believe I need to enter a Routing Entry with
Destination
> = 10.0.205.0, and a corresponding Gateway address for that Routing
Entry.  I am
> not sure what value to enter in that corresponding Gateway address in
the
> Routing table, and why I would use that value.
>
> On a Hipersocket, does the Routing Entry Gateway address really mean
anything?
> In contrast, I understand on a physical network that the Routing Table
Gateway
> address represents the "next hop" in getting to the physical network.
But on a
> Hipersocket, there is no intermediary address to go through in order to
get to
> those VSE stacks.

You're gonna hate this, but you're thinking too hard.  :-)  A HiperSocket
is a LAN segment, just like an Ethernet.  Treat it like one.  "ifconfig
hsi0 10.0.205.1 mask 255.255.255.0"  You do not need an extra routing
table entry.  As long as Linux references one of the VSEs by its
HiperSocket address (e.g. 10.0.205.200), the traffic will flow on the
HiperSocket.

The general rule is that a host does not need a separate routing table
entry for a local interface.  Additional routing table entries are needed
only when you want to override the "natural order" of the universe.