I had done some programming to help system administration. Part of
that obtains a list of users to check in SFS. Which users I get listed
is basically outside my control, and I want the program to be robust
enough to handle that.
Trying to understand the strange results, I realized that one of the
users just happened to match a nickname in my personal NAMES file, and
the QUERY (in this case) nicely iterated the command for the list of
users in that nickname. Not nice when you don't want that.
I felt pretty stupid that I did not disable the (apparent) default to
search your NAMES file, but found that there is no such option.

I think this is broken. When you want to write robust code, it should
not casually pick up a NAMES file that happens to be there. In my case
it just made the output look strange and it made me lookup the syntax
for Q LIMITS ALL to avoid iterating over all users. This just smells
like a Trojan Horse attack around the corner.

VMLINK has a NONAMES option to avoid literals to be taken as
nicknames. SENDFILE and friends would enjoy that too, but I can code
AT to force no NAMES resolution.

So what's the right way to make this robust? Do I have to save the
NAMES file and put an empty one there? Or NUCXLOAD some dummy thing as
NAMEFIND ?

Rob (friday is my security weasel day)