Did you have a look at the consoles of the two involved IPGATE users?

As for Query RESOURCE: on the remote systems, IPGATE must be the
owning userid of the filepool.  That's the trick: IPGATE tells CP it
is the owner of the filepool resource.  Hence if a connect request
comes in, CP sends it to IPGATE, IPGATE reads the APPC message and
sends that -using TCP/IP- to its IPGATE partner at the central site,
where that I¨PGATE users issues an APPC connect request that CP then
needs to resolve.
I don't remember what IPGATE tells on its console, but a TCP/IP
session should be built between both IPGATE users.  I think the
central IPGATE will check the authorisation of the remote user before
it tries to reach SFS, which in turn can refuse the connection.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support