On Wednesday, 08/20/2008 at 03:43 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If I am using HiperSockets and my MTU size is 1500 and a pass a packet
size of
> 2000 will the data in the packet be truncated since it is bigger than
1500?  I
> thought I read that since HiperSockets is memory transfers that the MTU
can not
> be split like it would over a normal transmission pipe, meaning that for
a 3K
> packet size over a MTU 1500 link would not be split into 2
transmissions. Am I
> correct in the assumption?

Yes and no.  :-)

It won't be truncated, but it will be fragmented.  The MTU is the Guardian
of the Gate.  It prevents the IP layer from sending a packet too large for
the underlying interface to handle.  So a 3K packet over an MTU 1500 link
will result in two fragments, each 1500 bytes.