From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jim Bohnsack
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 09:56 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DDR'ing 3390 DASD To Remote Location

I'm surprised that your posting about being able to backup/restore
DCSS/NSS files to disk was not jumped on by a lot of people.  I'd love
to have that.  Does it/can it restore the original creation DCSS/NSS
date?  The date problem and the fact that IBM's DCSSBKUP only works with
DCSS's, not NSS's, is a big drawback.

This is especially significant, given my new, remote, connection to
Cornell.  I'm semi-retired and working from my house in Plano, TX.  I'd
like to be able to minimize the calls to operations to mount a tape.

If you want to contact me off-line, I'm [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim

Dave Jones wrote:

Hi, Jiri.

This is way cool, many thanks for doing the work and sharing it. I think
it's going to
make life a bit easier for some folks.

Some suggestions:

1) There seems to be an undocumented option in at least the FTPGET stage
-- -DVDEOF. Of
course, this might have meaning only in the case of doing a DVD
transfer.
2) split the help text for the FTPGET and FTPPUT stages into separate
help files.
3) convert the HELP file from simple text to the standard CMS HELPFILE
format. If you'd
like, I can help you with that.

As far as SPXTAPE being upgraded to support files instead of being tape
only, we've got a
handy little utility here that will backup and restore all types of
DCSS/NSS/UR/etc spool
files to/from CMS files, with the only exceptions being DUMP and TRACE
files. For UR spool
files (RDR,PRT,PUN) it collects all such files from a given user into
one CMS file, making
moving and restoring them easier. It can also process individual
rdr/prt/pun files from
the collection as well.

If there is any interest in such a thing, let me know, and I'll document
it a bit better
and put it up on one the the popular VM download web sites.

Again, thanks a lot, Jiri.

Jiri Stehlik wrote:

        A while ago there was a thread here about the ability to DDR
DASD to remote
        location.  Well there is an answer!  I modified DDR so it can
communicate
        with CMS PIPES  (DDR can now be a pipe stage).  The modules can
be
        downloaded from here:
        http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?DRPC
        The FTPPUT and FTPGET PIPE stages were also included and
documented at the
        above address.
        Notice that this project is still a work in progress, therefore
feedback is
        welcomed!

        -George

--