CP MSG is faster...  TELL is an EXEC, and it always performs a lookup
in "userid NAMES"
In EXECs where I know where the message needs to go (to a single
person), I never use TELL:
  address command
  'IDENTIFY (LIFO
  parse pull myself . here . rscs .
  if targetnode=here | targetnode='' then 'CP MSG' targetuser 'This is
a mixed case msg'
  else 'CP SMSG' rscs targetNode targetUser 'This is a mixed case msg'
Not too long to code, and I'm sure the message goes to "targetuser"
even if that name would be an entry in "userid NAMES"

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support