On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Mark Post wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, william JANULIN
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The other question is, what percentage of mainframe sales is 'replacement
> > business' like new cars. How many 'new' mainframe shops have been added to
> > the fold?
>
> According to my contacts at IBM, a few, and up from the previous year.
>We're talking single digits.  The good news (for me, anyway) is that they
>were Linux-only shops.  No z/OS.  I'm also aware of a couple of existing
>z/OS shops that are talking about going to Linux-only.  I don't think
>that's a good idea technically, but I can understand it would save a lot
>of software licensing costs.
>

> Mark Post

Wish I could get management here interested in Linux on the z. We had it
for a short time. Somebody had the idea that Linux on z could be use to
consolidate WINDOWS workloads directly (like VMWare on Intel, but using
Linux on z under z/VM). We do have some RHEL servers in the Intel-space. I
don't know what is "in vogue" now in that area. The previous Intel
infrastructure person wanted to replace everything possible with AIX.

I would rant more, but I get rather nasty.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: An EIN stein.

Maranatha! John McKown